Monday, June 27, 2011

Weekend Alone

This weekend was my time to be a tourist. I went to so many places this weekend I had to take naps almost every day be I was exhausted.


Friday was my journey out to Saint Denis Cathedral. I have to say the way out there was scary.  I took the Tram, not knowing what to expect, and it was really an experience. I got many looks saying, "She is going to hell." I was the only one in a skirt on the tram with a bunch of extremely religious people. Needless to say on the way back I took a different route, that took longer but was less judgmental. The ride was worth what I was able to see. It was so beautiful. My favorite statues were the praying Marie Antoinette and Louis XVI. They were a site to be seen. I got some great pictures of them with the stain glass they were in front of. I was also able to get a great picture of Catherine Medici. (All these pictures are on my Pisaca, just click on the slide show to view them!) The rest of the day I spent cleaning and relaxing, nothing to exciting.


Saturday gave me a chance to see the Pantheon, Luxembourg Gardens, and a huge flea market. The Pantheon had a crypt with some of the amazing men that have called Paris home. Voltaire, Victor Hugo, Marie Curie, and Rousseau. The structure it's self was beautiful. The paintings and the sculptures really were something. Most of the paintings were about Saint Genevieve and some kings. The sculptures were mostly about the Revolution. After the Pantheon I went to the Luxembourg Gardens, on my way I stopped and got a nutella crepe. It was one of the best things ever! The gardens were gorgeous and had sculptures EVERYWHERE! The ones near the center were all queens and other noble women. Throughout the rest of the gardens they were men or something to that extent. Medici Fountain was divine. The way the trees created shadows and gave it a darker feeling. The fountain itself was detailed and balanced with the male and female. My camera almost died when I was in the gardens. From here I went to Notre Dame to visit the Holocaust memorial and to do some souvenir shopping. The memorial was very sobering. To think that only a few decades ago a man decided to blame a whole sector of people for the poor state of the country and so many people went along with it. Genocide is something that as a humans we should never let happen again, but for some reason we haven't learned from Hitler. Other countries have done the same thing and have gotten away with it for many years, even though the whole knows. I'm not blind to America's mistake in the Japanese camps, granted we didn't intentionally kill them it was still wrong to take families from their home and move them to camps that were barely inhabitable. Or even what the early colonies did to the Native Americans, taking their land and killing them because they weren't "civilized" like the European Countries. Sorry for the rant, but that is what I the memorial made me think of. After the memorial I did some souvenir shopping and then went to the flea market. It was something. All the people trying to sell you knock offs and even underwear in funky colors and designs. I won't spill on what I bought because I still need to decide who gets what. 


Sunday was the day for the CATACOMBES! I went with Laura and got to the location to enter at 10 am, when they opened. We waited for an hour to get in! The line was crazy and people kept adding to it! The wait was so worth it. My favorite part was all the huge amounts of bones that were kept there. One question that I had throughout the tour was who thought to design the bones the way they did. I have yet to upload the pictures but they will be uploaded soon. After the catacombes Laura and I went to the Dali museum. I wasn't to excited to see this, but I was surprised to find out that I enjoyed the museum. I loved the Alice in Wonderland pieces. Once I returned to the dorms I found Boy Meets World and Brotherly Love on YouTube. It was great to find them and relive some of my childhood. I miss watching them on ABC Family. 


Well that was the extent of my weekend. I loved it, but now I am happy to say I don't feel like I need to be a tourist anymore. 


Au Revoir! 

No comments:

Post a Comment