Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Chateau De Vincennes

Today was my first French 320 class. It is the history and society of Paris in 5 weeks. It is going to be intense, because the teacher usually teaches it in a semester. It is going to challenge me, which I am really excited for. Being challenged is something I love. I have to read over a hundred pages tonight, for tomorrow but that's not horrible. The material can be a little dry at times, but it has great moments. The one thing about history books is that the writing needs to be readable, not something just analytical. Jones does a good job of combining the analytical with some light hearted information. Like how prostitutes tried to get a stained glass window in Notre Dame.

I decided that I wanted to see the Chateau de Vincennes, so today I took the chance. It was perfect timing. I just read in the history book about the first kings of France and this Chateau was the first one to be used by kings. It was really beautiful and historical. Seeing the remains of it was still delightful, even though Napoleon destroyed most of the Chateau. Being there made me think that I was born in the wrong century; I think I could live without technology and in door plumbing.


Bonne Nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment